top of page

Tier 2 Visa System

 What is Tier 2 Visa System ?

The Tier 2 visa is solely in place for persons who have a job offer with a UK licensed employer. The role must be either listed on the Skilled Shortage Occupation List, has gone through a Resident Labour Test, or a job offer in excess of GBP 150,000.

Here’s how to tick the right boxes:

Firstly you must have a UK Home Office licensed employer who is willing to sponsor you.  How do you know if they are licensed?  If the employer isn’t licensed, they won’t be able to issue you with a valid certificate of sponsorship.

Besides having a valid certificate of sponsorship, you will also need to show that you have sufficient funds available for you to cover yours (and any dependants) initial expenses (accommodation, food etc).  This can be covered by your employer depending on your offer of employment.

Your dependants’ maintenance aspect, in some cases, cannot be covered by your future employer in the UK, hence you will need to be aware of the specific requirements in and around satisfying this criteria.

The other documentation you’ll need to provide will include documentation relating to:

•   qualifications;
•   future expected earnings;
•   sponsorship;
•   English language skills;
About the Tier 2 visa itself

It will allow you to live and work for a maximum of three years plus one month, or the time stated on your certificate of sponsorship plus one month. Towards the end of the visa, if you want to stay and continue working you’ll need to put an application in again for an extension. But this time the application will go to the UK Home Office.  Extensions are only given for 2 years or the stated time on your new certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days.

As mentioned earlier, you may take your partner, spouse, dependant/s with you on this visa type, however you do need to be aware of the requirements (namely maintenance) at least 3 months in advance of lodging your application to ensure you have all in order.

If you get this far and stay for 5 years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (Permanent Residency).  If you don’t stay for the full 5 years, you’ll need to apply for another visa (either Tier 2 again or another catergory if eligible).

Our OISC Registered Migration Agents will guide you through the process and assist in a successful application for the Tier 2 General Visa. With OISC Registered Migration Agents in both the UK and Australia, all aspects of the Tier 2 General Visa can be delivered by our experienced staff.

For a FREE initial visa assessment please complete the Free UK Visa Assessment and one of our consultants will respond within 48 hours of your submission

bottom of page